Cutting fuel costs

As much as I would love to rely on public transport for work I need to drive. My weapon of choice is a 2005 Toyota Hi Lux, I would like something smaller but I need the tray space.

I was interested in how different driving habits affect fuel consumption, the Hi Lux did not come with a trip computer so i recently purchased a Scangauge II from http://www.scangauge.com/

The gauge is great, it just plugs into the OBD port which in the Hi Lux is just under the steering column. Installation took me all of 5 min. The Scangauge gives you up to date information directly from the on board computer including Liters/100 Kilometers, Revs, cost of trip and a lot more.

Up to date information on the cost of driving is a real incentive to drive more efficiently. Already only having it for a couple of weeks I am spending on average of $2.30 less per round trip to work. Now with that kind of savings it will take me a few months to get back the cost of the gauge but every bit helps.

I found out about the gauge from http://ecomodder.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment